Naturopathic medicine is a primary health care system that addresses the cause of disease while supporting our body’s inherent self healing mechanism. At the Core, our Naturopathic Doctor will customize a treatment plan that encompasses the patient as a whole, not merely the disease. Therapies used are based on scientific research with an emphasis on wellness promotion, disease prevention and patient education.
Naturopathic doctors treat the whole person, which means they consider a variety of factors before they diagnose an illness. An N.D. might look at your mental, emotional, and spiritual state; your diet; your family history; your environment; and your lifestyle before making a diagnosis.
Some of the more common treatments used by a naturopath include:
- Nutritional counseling
- Herbal medicine
- Homeopathic medicine
- Hydrotherapy (water therapy) — These therapies include drinking natural spring water, taking baths, alternating hot and cold applications, and water exercise, all of which are thought to stimulate healing and strengthen the immune system.
- Physical medicine — This natural approach to healing involves using touch, hot and cold compresses, electric currents, and sound waves to manipulate the muscles, bones, and spine.
- Detoxification — This therapy removes toxins from the body by fasting, using enemas, and drinking lots of water.
- Spirituality — Personal spiritual development is encouraged as part of an overall health program.
- Lifestyle and psychological counseling — An N.D. may use hypnosis, guided imagery, or other counseling methods as part of a treatment plan.